Community meetings to discuss United Way housing plansJan 19th, 2011 | By Terri Sercovich | Category: news
Residents of Plaquemines Parish will have an opportunity to learn more about the United Way plan to build housing for new home buyers in Southern and Eastbank Plaquemines at three community meetings scheduled Jan. 18 in Davant, Jan. 19 in Buras and Jan. 25 in Port Sulphur.
The United Way has received a state grant of $6.7 million to assist residents to purchase private, single family homes in southern Plaquemines Parish and the Eastbank. A planning team from the New Orleans architectural firm, Concordia, was hired by the United Way in 2010 to assess whether there is sufficient number of interested home buyers to utilize the funds. Since Hurricane Katrina, there has been a shortage of available housing in southern Plaquemines, given the overwhelming devastation from the category four hurricane to virtually all structures in the Southern and Eastbank Plaquemines.
A recent United Way survey of 57 Plaquemines Parish residents or former residents representing 207 people residing in those 57 households, which was conducted in connection with the housing plan indicated the following:
• 35% of those interviewed currently live with other family members
• 22% were displaced from the parish after Hurricane Katrina and have not been able to
• 37% received no government assistance
• 55% have school-aged children
• 93% said they would be willing to live in a house that is raised 9 to 14 feet to prevent future flood or storm damage
• 85% are employed
• 9% are retired
Buzz Elliott and Phil Denning, representatives of the planning team, will present a PowerPoint Presentation, provide information about various housing designs, potential locations and answer questions from residents at three scheduled community meetings:
- 5:30 p.m., Tuesday, Jan. 18 at the Rev. Percy M. Griffin YMCA/Community Center at 15577 Hwy 15 in Davant
- 6:00 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 19 at the Buras YMCA/Community Center at 36342 Hwy 11 in Buras
6:00 p.m., Tuesday, Jan. 25 at the Port Sulphur YMCA/Community Center at 278 Civic Drive in Port Sulphur